Amity Institute of Telecom Technology & Management organized a guest lecture by Mr. Satya N Gupta, Chief of Corporate Affairs, Sterlite Technologies.
Mr. Gupta has more than 31 years of experience in telecom Sector during which he has served in WPC, Ministry of Communication, Govt.of India, Principal Advisor, TRAI, Indian Railways, British Telecom. He is also the founder president of ACTO, an Industry body of Dedicated Carriers and Executive member of National ICT Committees of ASSOCHAM, CII and FICCI.
Mr. Gupta was accompanied by Mr. Nitin Nagul, Associate Manager, Sterlite Technologies, an alumni of Amity Institute of Telecom Technology & Management. (MBA-Telecom Management, 2007-09 Batch).
Mr. Gupta spoke on ‘Current Regulatory Scenario in Telecom & Way Forward’. During his talk he discussed on the necessity of separating policy making, regulatory and services which was all done by Department of Telecommunication (DoT), for the growth of telecom in India.
During his talk he explained the following:
• Institutional framework for Indian Telecommunication.
• Promoting Competition in phases by amending policies.
• How services licensing on one hand is boosting mobile services whereas other services are still lagging behind?
• SWOT analysis of Regulatory Regime in the country.
• How manning of all bodies by Govt./ incumbents officers on secondment or ex-Civil Servants is leading to Regulator Capture?
• How limited role of TRAI is creating situations like 2G Scam?
He also discussed about how BSNL/MTNL can be turned around from loss making to profit earning organizations.
The lecture was highly interactive and concluded with a Q&A session which was very interesting for the students.