World Suicide Prevention Day was observed at AIPS and AIBHAS on 10 September, 2012 to sensitize & promote positive thinking & action amongst Amity Students to mark the day. World Suicide Prevention Day is an awareness day observed on 10 September every year, in order to provide worldwide commitment and action to prevent suicides, with various activities around the world. The international theme for World Suicide Prevention Day for year 2012 is “Suicide Prevention across the Globe: Strengthening Protective Factors and Instilling Hope”.
On average, almost 3000 people commit suicide daily that is a death every 40 seconds. According to WHO there are twenty people who have a failed suicide attempt for every one that is successful, at a rate approximately one every three seconds. More people die from suicide than from murder and war, it is the 13th leading cause of death worldwide. According to an article in the premier medical journal Lancet, Suicide death rates in India are among the highest in the world. A large proportion of adult suicide deaths occur between the ages of 15 years and 29 years, especially in women. The study says, suicide claims twice as many lives in India as HIV-AIDS and almost as many as maternal deaths in young women. Studies have shown that the most common contributors to suicide are a combination of social problems, such as interpersonal and family problems and financial difficulties, and pre-existing mental illness.
AIPS and AIBHAS students reflected on the status of Suicide rates in our country and discussed about the strategies for Suicide Prevention in their Psychology classes along with Slogans for Suicide prevention at BS classes held in Amity Higher Institutions (ASET, AISS, AIIT, AIB, ACCF, ASE) on the day. Students (UG & PG) of AIPS and AIBHAS suggested the following strategies and methods for Preventing Suicides:
- Always be positive: Having Faith and Trust in oneself- “Value Self and others”
- A Helpline as an emergency support system for prevention of depression and suicide.
- Encouraging individuals to seek help
- Staying calm in stressful situations
- Encouraging Positive Environment and Optimism
- Developing a Safety Plan like identifying trigers which may lead to crisis, also identifying one’s support system
- Ensuring that Psychologists are within reach of individuals as and when required
- Positive Self Talk and Self Concept activities should be encouraged
- Ensuring Effective Interpersonal Communication
- Talking to any individual who might have suicidal ideations.
- Counseling the person by making him/her understand that “No trouble is bigger than life”. “If some problem is there in life, how it can be bigger than him/her”.
- Parents and Family members being a part of the whole process in ensuring Positive Family Mental Health.
- Healthy expression of emotions (venting out)
- Spreading awareness about the impact of suicide on other individuals and on the society through Social networking sites and through newspapers.
- Gain psychological strengths through self and others from good and bad phases of life
- Involving individuals in Stress management and Coping mechanisms along with anger management training.
- Practicing yoga and Meditation
- Some of the things that can be taken at the Individual level in order to curb Suicidal thoughts:
o Sleep Adequately
o Self Disclosure eg Diary entry
o Meditation or Yoga
o Sharing problems with people around
o Developing a sense of self awareness
o Spiritual connect
o Believing in oneself
- Meditation as a way to calm the body and mind.
- Regular Exercise, Healthy diet, and proper sleep is necessary to avoid stress and anxiety problem.
- Indulging oneself in any creatve activity.
- No Discrimination & No Comparison but Equality & Inspiration will lead to Healthy Positive Development of mind
Along wise awareness about the same was also generated in Behavioural Sciences classes of ASET, AISS, AIIT, AIB, ACCF, and ASE. Students chalked out slogans for Suicide Prevention some of them are:
- Life is a Test Match, Don’t finish it as T-20
- A Picture Without Color, is also called Black & White, so stay alive
- Your Smile look adorable on You, You should wear it more often.
- Life can lose its essence, but never lose its effervescence.”
- To worry is like rocking in a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but gets you no where
- Life is about laughing and living in Good and Bad Times. Getting through whatever comes our way and looking back and smiling.
- Suicide is Murder
- Enjoy the Life ride, never think of Suicide
- There is more to Life than You can Imagine.
- Stress and depression are lies, not acceptble reasons to die, Life is a journey to fight, so from these lies, don’t fright
- “Life is precious so are you”. Give life a chance”
- “Ever tried Ever failed. No matter Try again. Fail again. Fail better, but never fail to try again
- STAY ALIVE, WE ARE BLESSED BY LIFE”
- We must accept Finite disappointment, but we must never lose Infinite Hope
- The greatest glory in living life is never falling, but in rising every time we fall
- “Suicide is that tide, coming against the ride of life.”
- “Sailing with the flow can bring us the life” Therefore Let the Stressors not push our wounds underwater
- Life Stands for Living it….. Not Leaving it.”
- Don’t Find a Way to End Your Life. Find a Way to End Your Problem
- Your life gives meaning to our life and collectively we make this society so my friend when you take your life, it’s a part of us that is kiled.
- No Problem comes without a solution, it’s just you need to find a right way out of your problem.
- Life is a Wonderful Gift, so please don’t jump from the Cliff.
- Failure instead of being taken to the heart should rather work as a stimulus to work better and better. As failure is not our failure, it is the failure of our programming, our ways which can always be changed.
- Life can be restored with new hopes and inspirations as the problems are never permanent.
- When life gives you something that makes you feel afraid, that’s when life gives you a chance to be brave.
- We just have one life, live it.
- Life is a gift of God, don’t loose it.
- Life does give you a single chance to live it. Once lost, a single amount of happiness is hard to get back. So live life king size.
- World is full of happiness and sorrows, if you are in sorrow don’t mourn and cry just take it a challenge and be victorious.
Amity University, Noida students through above activities sensitized their own selves and their peers and further took this learning along with them to disseminate to the society for Prevention of suicide and also to reduce the stigma associated with help-seeking – this way we all may save a life because “Life is Precious”.